Ok I know it finished 11 years ago but Sex And The City is still one of my favourite classic TV series. It may be silly and exaggerated (and the concept of shopping like there’s no tomorrow is a bit out of place in today’s austerity) but if I feel down and have no close friends – or my mum – on call, it’s my go to show.
The writing is so clever and covers all manner of topics. Love, relationships, sex, friendships, pop culture, social culture, careers, the list goes on. All be it the topics are covered in a very glamourised way. But it’s not just women talking about men unlike countless other shows and films with a female protagonist. It’s escapism and it’s aspirational, much like the adverts in magazines, or indeed the lifestyles portrayed by celebrities (and even some well known bloggers and vloggers) – it gives us something to wish for and aspire to.
Sorry for the shoe boxset which is as bright as the surface as the sun
So it can make me laugh, make me cry and give me solutions or answers I need – or at least just make me forget about the problem for a little while.
Here are some of the useful, and not so useful, things we can take away from Sex And The City:
1. Never drink the water in Mexico. It ends messily. Quite literally.
2. It’s not a good idea to meet the person who dated your ex right after you.
3. You can never own too many pairs of shoes. That is, unless you’ve spent $40,000 on them and have nowhere to live as a result. Then you definitely have too many pairs of shoes.
4. It’s never ok to sleep with your married ex. Especially when you’re taken too. Hey, we all know this already but remember it’s likely to end with a large dental bill.
5. Always, always back up your work.
6. Don’t blow your friends out for a man. Not cool.
7. Balls are to men what purses are to women. It’s just a little bag, but we’d feel naked without them.
8. It’s ok to pour washing up liquid over tempting food to stop yourself from eating it out of the bin.
9. You can have a good home, good job and good boyfriend, but it’s not often possible to have all three at the same time. This idea has inspired a blog post before – read it here.
10. Regardless of whether you’re Mary Berry in the kitchen, squirrels are not worth dropping pie over. They’re not scary either, just an aggressive pain in the arse.
11. He hasn’t called? He’s just not that in to you.
12. Keep your skinny jeans from your twenties, you might squeeze into them again one day!
13. Don’t lean out of the window of a 18th floor apartment – drunk or sober.
14. The world’s most romantic city isn’t so romantic when you’re on your own and bored.
15. Just because you’re wearing a white dress, it doesn’t mean it’s the right time to get married. It doesn’t mean it’s the right person to get married to, either.
16. You should never EVER break up with someone using a Post-it note.