Poached eggs are my favourite kind of eggs. You get the lovely flavour of the yolk that you miss with scrambled egg, but you get to skip the grease that comes with a fried egg. It’s like a tastier, healthier fried egg.
I’ve always found them a little tricky to cook in the past, which has been so frustrating. I’ve had all the gadgets – the little bags you put them in, a special poaching pan, the rubber cup things. But no matter how hard I try I can’t get them right. Either the yolk is cooked through (no thanks!) or the white is still a bit runny (yuck!).
But I’ve finally done it: this morning I finally made the perfect poached egg.
Some may not think this is enough of an achievement to warrant a blog post, but I’m very pleased about this so wanted to share it!
1. Boil a saucepan of water and add a pinch of salt
2. Create a whirlpool by stirring quickly with a spoon
3. Crack the egg into a small cup and pour it into the middle of the whirlpool directly from the cup
4. Bring the pan back to the boil
5. Take the pan off the heat, cover and leave for four minutes
Serve and scoff up!